Tiger Woods has racked up 15 major championships over the course of his storied career, but acknowledged Tuesday that his playing days will soon be over.
Woods spoke to reporters ahead of the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas and was unusually forthright about not only his personal career, but the state of the game of golf.
The revelations come after Woods cited plantar fasciitis when announcing he was withdrawing from the Hero World Challenge, an event he co-founded.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
Woods also shared that he had two additional surges this year that were related to his ongoing recovery from injuries sustained in a single-vehicle accident outside Los Angeles in February 2021. He was hospitalized for several weeks after the accident.
The 46-year-old did not disclose details about the two surgeries.
Last year, Woods said during a session with reporters that there was a “50-50” chance that his leg would be amputated.
Aside from surgeries related to the accident, Woods has suffered a variety of injuries in recent years. The wear on his body now has the golfer facing the finish line.
PAT PEREZ EXPLODES TIGER WOODS’S CRITICISM ABOUT PLAYERS JOINING LIV GOLF: ‘STUPIDEST THING I’VE EVER HEARD’
“The goal is to play only the main championships and maybe one or two others. That’s it,” he said. “I mean, that’s physically, that’s all I can do.”
Woods played in three majors last season, the Masters, the PGA Championship and the Open Championship at St. Andrews.
He finished 47th at Augusta, withdrew from the PGA Championship, and missed the cut at the Open Championship.
JON RAHM RIPS OFFICIAL WORLD GOLF RANKING ON ‘IRRIABLE’ CHANGES: ‘I THINK THEY MADE A MISTAKE’
But Woods said he’s pleased with the way he was able to perform last season.
“I didn’t expect to play three majors this year,” he said. “We were hoping for just the British Open, but I was able to get two more there, so that was very positive.”
He said he planned to compete in The Match and the PNC Championship next month with his son Charlie.
When asked by reporters for his thoughts on how the PGA Tour could coexist with the LIV Golf Tour, he didn’t mince words.
“Right now as it is, not right now, not with his leadership, not with Greg (Norman, LIV CEO) there and his animosity towards the Tour itself,” he said. “I don’t see that happening. As Rory (McIlroy) said and I said as well, I think Greg has to go and then eventually, hopefully, we can stay between the two lawsuits and figure something out.”
Woods also pointed out that the hostility between the PGA Tour and LIV prevents the growth of the sport.
“Now what is the best way for our game to grow?” he said. “It’s not like that. But sure, you need the two bodies to come together. If one side has that much animosity, someone trying to destroy our tour, then how do you work with that?” The LIV players’ litigation against the PGA Tour and the Tour’s countersuit are expected to take most of 2023 to resolve if no settlement is reached.
“They’re suing us first and we’re countersuing them, so they have to leave the table … and then we’ll have a place to talk,” Woods said. “But his leadership has to change as well. If that’s not the case, then I think he’s going to continue down the path he’s taking now.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Prior to the DP World Tour Championship, Rory McIlroy outlined the changes he would like to see to bring LIV Golf and the PGA Tour to a place where conversations can begin.