Brazilian soccer legend Pele was hospitalized on Wednesday as his home country prepares to wrap up its World Cup group stage schedule later this week.
The revelation of Pelé’s hospitalization in São Paulo raised concerns in the sports world, but his daughter tried to quell any fear. Kely Nascimento said she was in the hospital to regulate medication in her fight against a colon tumor, and that there was “no emergency” regarding her 82-year-old father.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
“Truly, we appreciate the concern and love,” he said in the comments on an Instagram post.
ESPN Brasil reported that Pele was taken to the Albert Einstein Hospital due to “general inflammation.”
WORLD CUP 2022: IRANS CHEER US ABOUT THEIR COUNTRY AMID ONGOING PROTESTS
Pelé had a tumor removed in September 2021 and the hospital said he was starting chemotherapy. Since then, he has used social media to deny that he had any health problems and his last public comment was on October 23, his birthday.
“I just want to express my gratitude. Life is good. Turning 82 years old with my family, in good health, is the best gift. Thank you for everything I have received, ”she said at the time.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Pelé is widely considered the greatest soccer player of all time. He helped Brazil win the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970 and is the country’s all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 caps for the national team.
Associated Press contributed to this report.